Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Regal Community Theatre Open Day

I can't believe it's more than two months since I did my last blog post.  I've been a busy girl.  Anyway, I thought I'd tell you about my wee trip to the Regal Community Theatre Open Day at the weekend:

When I was a little girl, The Regal was the only cinema in the town that was still open as a cinema rather than a bingo hall.  I saw Bambi there and Snow White and The Sword in the Stone and loads of other films there when I was growing up.  The last film it showed before it closed was The Tales Of Beatrix Potter.  For the first time ever, my dad paid for seats in the balcony and we sat in the front row to watch that last film.  It was a sad day when it closed.  The Regal cinema in Armadale (a couple of miles away) also closed and was eventually demolished.  I was expecting our local Regal to suffer the same fate but it has re-opened and closed a few times in different guises since then.  It's changed a bit from it's original format and now has a bar, amongst other things, and it's now a community theatre.  It still shows films now and then and also hosts concerts and shows and has it's own resident stage school.

I was contacted a few weeks ago by the organiser of the open day and asked if I would like to rent a table.  Naturally, I said yes...... and then panicked.  Why did I panic?  Because I'd taken only recently a load of jewellery down to Kidzeco to put on display and didn't have a whole lot of stuff left to fill a 6 foot table.  I also had nothing to display jewellery on so I was afraid my table would look a wee bit sad.  So I set to work making some new things to take along with me:

I also splashed out on some displays:

So, on the day, I made a reasonable job of setting out my table:

My stuff needed two huge, wheeled suitcases to transport it, between jewellery and displays.  We had an hour to set up and it took me the WHOLE hour. I have learned some lessons, like don't attach the price tag to the organza bag that is going to be left in a box because it's extremely fiddly and time consuming to remove them. I also need to make some labels to explain what the dreadlock cuffs and phone/bag charms are and make a sign with my shop name on. Doh!  In the end, I had too much stuff with me to fit on the table.

My daughter, aka Missbaah, was able to transport her wares in a small bag.  She was a total smarty pants and was set up in no time:

There were all sorts of events on during the day and customers seemed to arrive in clusters.  I think some may have come in to shelter from the rain rather than to buy but it was still nice to see them.  I think Missbaah and I had a reasonably successful day.  Not a bad experience for my first craft fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment